Restarter - Documentation
Getting Started using Restarter
After you have downloaded and installed the application...
Change the default monitoring settings (optional)
Using the Application
- Select one of the currently running Processes to Monitor
- Set the Monitoring Options
- Specify the Actions that should be performed for this monitoring session
- Set the Restart Parameters
- Start the Monitoring
- Save Settings and create a 'Restarter Monitored Shortcut' (optional)
Creating Restarter Monitored Shortcuts
Creating a Shortcut from within Restarter
After you have started the monitoring of a process, the
"Create Shortcut" option is available from within the application.
When clicking this button, a 'Restarter Monitored' shortcut will be generated
and a dialog window will show, prompting you to specify a location where you
want this shortcut to be saved. This Shortcut can be saved or moved to a location of your choice; for example to your
folder" in the Start-Menu, if you want to automatically start a Restarter monitored
program each time you start and logon to your computer
Building a Shortcut or command-line argument Manually
A valid shortcut contains 4 parameters, where "parameter 0" is the Restarter
executable file itself. All the parameters are 'SPACE' separated, so any
path that contains a space must be double quoted. A valid shortcut command-line
is built like this:
"X:\FULL PATH TO\Restarter.exe" "PARAMETER 1" "PARAMETER 2" "PARAMETER 3"
- PARAMETER 0 = string BASEEXECUTABLE (Full Path to the Restarter.exe itself)
- PARAMETER 1 = string EXECUTABLE (program to monitor)
- PARAMETER 2 = string STARTUPPARAMETERS (startup parameters for the monitored program)
- PARAMETER 3 = string WORKINGDIRECTORY (if the monitored program requires a 'working directory' path)
Example of a vaild command-line shortcut:
"C:\knas Restarter\Restarter.exe" "C:\WINDOWS\System32\Notepad.exe" "C:\TEST\textfile.txt"
- PARAMETER 0 - The full path to the Restarter.exe "C:\knas Restarter\Restarter.exe"
- PARAMETER 1 - Full Path to the process to monitor. In this case "C:\WINDOWS\System32\Notepad.exe"
- PARAMETER 2 - The startup parameters for the monitored process (notepad) is "C:\TEST\textfile.txt",
which means that the restarted.txt text file will be opened in notepad when restarted.
- PARAMETER 3 - Working directory is specified as "C:\TEST"
The total length of the command-line for a shortcut can only be 255 characters long.
If you are having problems creating a valid shortcut, try moving the executable
that you are monitoring to a folder path that is shorter.
From version 2.0, Restarter has the ability to execute external scripts as an action
when the monitored process fails. Restarter can execute simple batch files
(.bat) or more complex visual basic scripts (.vbs).
Restarter comes bundled with two sample scripts for you to adapt and use:
This is a script to reboot the computer.
The script can also be configured to reboot a remote computer if required.
When executed, this script will send a notification e-mail to a pre-defined address.
Before you can use this script you will have to configure the required parameters defined inside
the script itself.